How2pass.com Forums

Full Version: QID: S3 VTPv3 Sim
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Question 3 states:  You are adding new VLANs: VLAN500 and VLAN600 to the topology in such way that you need to configure SW1 as primary root for VLAN 500 and secondary for VLAN 600 and SW2 as primary root for VLAN 600 and secondary for VLAN 500. Which configuration step is valid?

The correct answer listed is “Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1 only”.

I can see that SW1 is the Primary VTP Server in the topology, but what I do not understand is how you can make SW1 the primary root for VLAN 500 and SW2 the primary root for VLAN 600, by only adding them on SW1. 

Other resources state the VLANS 500&600 should be configured on SW1 and SW2.

I am taking the exam this week and would really appreciate if someone can explain this to me.

[size=7]Thanks in advance![/size]
After using the 'show vtp status' command on both SW1 & SW2, look for the Primary ID and Primary Description, this will tell you the Primary VTP server.

This question is ONLY asking on which switch should the vlans to be configured on. SW1 is the correct answer because it is the Primary VTP server and VLANs can ONLY be created/delete/modified on the Primary Server. Even if you tried to create the VLANs on SW2, it will not allow you to.

https://networklessons.com/switching/vtp-version-3

The Root Switch selection is a Spanning Tree function, not a VTP function. To set the root switch for a specific VLAN you would need to configure 'spanning-tree vlan 500 root primary' on SW1 and 'spanning-tree vlan 600 root primary' on SW2.
(02-17-2020, 12:09 AM)stan_z93 Wrote: [ -> ]After using the 'show vtp status' command on both SW1 & SW2, look for the Primary ID and Primary Description, this will tell you the Primary VTP server.

This question is ONLY asking on which switch should the vlans to be configured on. SW1 is the correct answer because it is the Primary VTP server and VLANs can ONLY be created/delete/modified on the Primary Server. Even if you tried to create the VLANs on SW2, it will not allow you to.

https://networklessons.com/switching/vtp-version-3

The Root Switch selection is a Spanning Tree function, not a VTP function. To set the root switch for a specific VLAN you would need to configure 'spanning-tree vlan 500 root primary' on SW1 and 'spanning-tree vlan 600 root primary' on SW2.
Thank you stan_z93!  The reference explains it very well!