How2pass.com Forums

Full Version: Possible Correction Needed - QID RTE029
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The answer to this question claims that traffic from the Internet to the data center is load balanced across 3 paths, but I think the correct answer is 4 paths.

It's true that Router A load balances across its 3 links, but the question states that all routers have the variance configured. Therefore, Router B will load balance across two of its links, making a fourth path.

I set this up in GNS3 with the ratios of the metrics for the various links exactly the same as presented in the question. I checked the routing table on A, and sure enough, it had 3 entries for the "data center" (loopback) connected to router H: through B, D, and F. Router B had two routes to the data center: through C and E.

Then I set up Wireshark on Router E on the links to Routers B, D, and F, as well as on Router C on the link facing router B. Finally, I sent 90 icmp packets from Router A to the "data center," and the results were as I predicted:

A->D->E->H: 40 packets
A->F->E->H: 30 packets
A->B->E->H: 12 packets
A->B->C->H: 8 packets

I will grant that the question states that the K-values are set to their default, while I set them to only compute delay on all routers. However, I can't conceive of any way that would contaminate the results.