Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CCNP-Switch Question: VTPv3 Simlet(QID S3) Q3
I have my exam scheduled this Saturday and I want to be sure about the answer to this question.  The answer that is given here, Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1 only makes complete sense because of the lowest MAC address on SW1 but my other online reasearch shows  Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on both SW1 & SW2.

So my question is: Although the answer here makes sense, what answer is Cisco looking for in the actual exam?
(05-21-2019, 05:07 AM)bostnbrn1 Wrote: I have my exam scheduled this Saturday and I want to be sure about the answer to this question.  The answer that is given here, Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1 only makes complete sense because of the lowest MAC address on SW1 but my other online reasearch shows  Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on both SW1 & SW2.

So my question is: Although the answer here makes sense, what answer is Cisco looking for in the actual exam?

I would be curious on this also.  I believe the answer they are looking for is configure only only on SW1, because they are using vtp version 3, which offers better control over which device is allowed to update other devices.  I am taking my exam next Wed, and I would love to hear how yours goes on Sat.
(05-21-2019, 11:48 AM)slayer5023 Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 05:07 AM)bostnbrn1 Wrote: I have my exam scheduled this Saturday and I want to be sure about the answer to this question.  The answer that is given here, Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1 only makes complete sense because of the lowest MAC address on SW1 but my other online reasearch shows  Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on both SW1 & SW2.

I would be curious on this also.  I believe the answer they are looking for is configure only only on SW1, because they are using vtp version 3, which offers better control over which device is allowed to update other devices.  I am taking my exam next Wed, and I would love to hear how yours goes on Sat.

If I get the simlet then I am going to use the answer from here. I believe it is the correct one. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks. Also just curious, when going through the practice tests, are you reviewing them all, or just going through 50 or so questions at a time?
(05-21-2019, 11:56 PM)slayer5023 Wrote: Thanks.  Also just curious, when going through the practice tests, are you reviewing them all, or just going through 50 or so questions at a time?

I review all of them until I get 95% or better but I also make sure that the first 50 are 95% or better as well. I watch videos on YouTube and I set up labs with GNS3 to practice on some things. The simulation labs are critical because they are weighted higher than the multiple choice questions. Know them like the back of your hand. As well as the simlets and drag and drops.  I'll be glad when this is over. I need a break.
(05-22-2019, 12:46 AM)bostnbrn1 Wrote:
(05-21-2019, 11:56 PM)slayer5023 Wrote: Thanks.  Also just curious, when going through the practice tests, are you reviewing them all, or just going through 50 or so questions at a time?

I review all of them until I get 95% or better but I also make sure that the first 50 are 95% or better as well. I watch videos on YouTube and I set up labs with GNS3 to practice on some things. The simulation labs are critical because they are weighted higher than the multiple choice questions. Know them like the back of your hand. As well as the simlets and drag and drops.  I'll be glad when this is over. I need a break.
The more I research the answer to this question the more I believe it is wrong because SW1's operating mode is server not Primary Server. So it has to be SW1 and SW2.
Please let me know how your exam goes. I have mine on Wed.
(05-25-2019, 11:52 AM)slayer5023 Wrote: Please let me know how your exam goes.  I have mine on Wed.

I passed with a 914. I got both VTP3 sim and HSRP troubleshooting sim. It had that question and it didn't have switch 1 or 2 configured as a primary server so I chose the answer to configure both switch 1 and 2. I also got the Dot1X lab. A couple of new questions but if you get good practice test scores here then you will be fine. Understand the concepts and set up your own virtual labs with GNS3 using VIRL images if you can. Best of luck!
Is this the question about creating vlan 500 and 600 on switch 1 only, or both switch 1 and 2? The correct answer on here is just Sw1, but you are saying you think it’s both 1 and 2? I do not understand why that’s needed. Creating it on the vtp mode server should propagate the clans to the other switch even if it’s a server also as long as it’s in the same vtp domain.
(05-25-2019, 06:36 PM)slayer5023 Wrote: Is this the question about creating vlan 500 and 600 on switch 1 only, or both switch 1 and 2?  The correct answer on here is just Sw1, but you are saying you think it’s both 1 and 2?  I do not understand why that’s needed.  Creating it on the vtp mode server should propagate the clans to the other switch even if it’s a server also as long as it’s in the same vtp domain.
Yes, it is the same question but I chose SW1 and SW2 because neither one was in the primary server operating mode from the output of the "show vtp status" command. See reason below:

HINT: VTP Operating Mode is set to Primary Server! 

A. Configure VLAN 500 & VLAN 600 on both SW1 & SW2. 
B. Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1 only. 
C. Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW2 only. 
D. Configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600 on SW1, SW2 and SW4. 
E. On SW2, configure vtp mode as off and configure VLAN 500 and VLAN 600, configure back to vtp server mode. 

Correct Answer: B

Explanation Explanation/Reference: In VTP version 3, there are two additional fields under the output of “show vtp status” command. 

They are: + “Primary ID”: The MAC address of the Primary Server + “Primary Description”: The hostname of the Primary Server. 

The Primary Server is used on VTP version 3 to avoid the bad behavior in version 2. In VTP version 2, a VTP client (or Server) can be taken out of the network. When it comes back, it can overwrite a VTP Server if its Revision number is higher. This problem no longer exists in VTP version 3 because there is only one VTP Primary Server at a time. Only a VTP Primary Server can create new VLAN. After creating new VLAN, the VTP Primary Server will advertise its VLAN database to other VTP clients/servers so in fact answer A is not correct. 

In this question you just need to check if Sw1 or Sw2 is the VTP Primary Server then we can create both VLAN 500 & 600 on it. Then it will advertise these VLANs to other switches.