Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simlet S1 STP Right or Wrong?
Q3: Which Spanning Tree Protocol has been implemented on switch SW-B?

Answer on H2P: STP/IEEE 802.1D

Its showing the P2P Peer (STP) which my Official Exam Cert guide says on page 272 wold be running traditional 802.1D STP bu the Cisco web site says its PVST. 

Link is here about half way down the page.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/s...0670.shtml

Access1#show spanning-tree vlan 10

VLAN0010
  Spanning tree enabled protocol rstp
  Root ID    Priority    24586
            Address    0015.63f6.b700
            Cost        19
            Port        107 (FastEthernet3/0/1)
            Hello Time  2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID  Priority    32778  (priority 32768 sys-id-ext 10)
            Address    000f.f794.3d00
            Hello Time  2 sec  Max Age 20 sec  Forward Delay 15 sec
            Aging Time 300

Interface        Role Sts Cost      Prio.Nbr Type
---------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
Fa3/0/1          Root FWD 19        128.107  P2p Peer(STP)
Fa3/0/2          Altn BLK 19        128.108  P2p Peer(STP)

!--- Type P2p Peer(STP) represents that the neighbor switch runs PVST.

Gee....

Anyone score a 1000, whats the correct answer on the test?  :Smile
I have got exam cert guide ed 4 - page 272 as well

it says P2P denotes to p2p rstp port type in which a full duples link connects a neighbour
but, it further adds: if you see P2p(STP) the port is point to point but neighbour is running stp/802.1d
After scouring some other forums it looks like both answers may be right.  I'm planning on going with pvst+, but it would be nice if there was a clear winner between the two choices...of course, that would not be the Cisco way.
well i just experienced it today and looks like stp is correct.

it makes sense too, you are right it can be both - but it depends what neighbour is running - if switch b is running rstp as well it shoudl be p2p only but if its running stp it will show p2p(stp) - dont exactly remember but i think similar stuff happens if you are running mst at boundry and it also shows you something like p2p (boundry) [not exactly sure how it says it]

(05-09-2008, 07:21 PM)fnagi link Wrote:well i just experienced it today and looks like stp is correct.

it makes sense too, you are right it can be both - but it depends what neighbour is running - if switch b is running rstp as well it shoudl be p2p only but if its running stp it will show p2p(stp) - dont exactly remember but i think similar stuff happens if you are running mst at boundry and it also shows you something like p2p (boundry) [not exactly sure how it says it]

How do you know 802.1d (stp) is the correct answer on the test simlet?  Did you score perfect on the test or perfect in the STP section? ...just wondering. 

I guess since there seems to be evidence that both answers are correct and h2pass uses 802.1d I'll use that.  I really hate being put in this kind of position on something as important as a simlet.  I wish I could set it up in a lab, but my switches aren't new enough to support those protocols  Sad.
yep i scored perfect, nope not one the test (i wish  Wink) but on the stp/rstp section
If the partner switch is Cisco, then the answer is PVST+.

However, if the partner switch is non-cisco, then the answer is 802.1D

I believe for the exam, Cisco accepts both answers (I know people who scored 1000/1000, each selected different answers).

Me personally, I would select PVST+
Well, guess what?  I have sitting on my desk a 2950-24, a 2950-48, and a 3550G-48.  They're set up in a triangle.  The two 2950's are configured for Rapid-PVST, and the 3550 has been configured both for PVST and for MST, and BOTH modes show p2p Peer (STP) under the type field when you do a show spanning-tree on either 2950.  So it's totally inconclusive, and Cisco strikes again!