Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EC756
This question is about BGP path preferences... Currently the 'correct' answer is to apply a route map to modify the local preference. I don't understand why the correct answer isn't to set the weight of the preferred neighbor to 1?

By default, weight is 0 in BGP and we can see from the picture, the weight on both neighbors isn't configured. The picture also doesn't show what the current local preference values are, so even applying the route map we wouldn't know if a preference of 101 is enough based on the existing config we don't get shown.

Would appreciate a more in depth explanation if possible.

(04-24-2023, 08:01 PM)atommo Wrote: This question is about BGP path preferences... Currently the 'correct' answer is to apply a route map to modify the local preference. I don't understand why the correct answer isn't to set the weight of the preferred neighbor to 1?

By default, weight is 0 in BGP and we can see from the picture, the weight on both neighbors isn't configured. The picture also doesn't show what the current local preference values are, so even applying the route map we wouldn't know if a preference of 101 is enough based on the existing config we don't get shown.

Would appreciate a more in depth explanation if possible.

Discovered this myself: This will not work because Weight attribute requires a route map - The Router won't allow to set the weight directly like this