Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passed ROUTE 642-902 on 2nd attempt
Took and passed ROUTE with a score of 918 on the 2nd attempt. 

The performance assessments were as follows:

Implement an EIGRP based solution 86%
Implement a multi-area OSPF network 78%
Implement an eBGP based solution 83%
Implement an IPv6 based solution 100%
Implement an IPv4 or IPv6 based redistribution solution 100%
Implement Layer 3 Path Control Solution 100%
Implement basic teleworker and branch services 100%

Both times I took the test there were simulation questions similar to Labs 3, 4, 6 & 7 and no testlets either time. 

Looks like I was weakest with OSPF.  I believe the lab that I may not have completed correctly was the one similar to Lab #3.  Everything was okay except for configuring the totally stubby area.  It seems that the test calls for the area 2 to not receive any external or inter-area routes.  This is fine except that when you attempt to go to global config mode on the Lab C router (named differently on the test) it will not allow it.  Note that the routers are named differently on the test and the areas are numbered differently.

A fair word of warning regarding Lab #7:  H2P gives you the EIGRP metrics but the test expects you to look them up.  Not a major deal but if like me on the first attempt you are looking at the test timer and starting to feel a little stress it can become distracting.  When you actually look up the metrics on a real router (and on the test simulation) you get something like:

R2#show int s0/0/0
!<snip>
!MTU 1500 bytes, BW 128 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

?not exactly the same order that you would use in the redistribute eigrp 100 command.

My advice is if you don?t have a router, router simulator or router emulator is to practice each lab with NotePad or a word processor.  That way you?re not being helped by the practice lab prompts.  It?s okay to understand it but in the test environment you pretty much have to understand the topology and what is being accomplished in order to come out ahead of the timer.  The fact that you can?t go back to a question makes it difficult when you?re struggling with a lab.

The other thing that took time on the first attempt was the question where they gave a hexadecimal address and asked to convert it to decimal.  Basic things like that cost me the first time around.

Also used several resources for studying namely:

1) CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Official Certification Guide by Wendell Odom (Cisco Press)
2) CCNP ROUTE Portable Command Guide by Scott Empson & Hans Roth (Cisco Press)
3) Cisco CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards for my iPhone app
4) CBTNuggets Cisco 642-902 CCNP ROUTE CBT by Jeremy Cioara (excellent teacher)
5) GNS3 router emulation software
6) Boson ExSim-Max practice exams & test
7) Last but not least How2Pass subscription

How2Pass? labs are really close but Boson?s practice test does a much better job explaining the answers.  This will probably improve over time.  I submitted about ten explanations to H2P that I encountered.
I took mine on Monday and passed them as well although not as high as your score  Wink. Most of the questions from H2P appeared (98%) were word for word correct. There were at least 3 questions that weren't covered by H2P. One that I remember was : About ipv6 ffff::AC11:AC11 that needs to be converted to IPv4 (I think the answer is: ffff::172.11.172.17 - I researched and found it from a different site), I also had 2 drag and drop that were not covered by H2P (I'll post them later). As far as lab, I got 4,5,6, and 7.