Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QID: S35 RIPv2 issue
The last multiple choice question asks you to examine the R1 routing table and determine how traffic to 10.10.10.0/24 is forwarded.
The correct answer per the simlet is that "Traffic destined to 10.10.10.0/24 ... uses RIPv2 instead of static route [because of the higher admin distance on the static route]"

While its true the static route has a higher admin distance of 200 over RIPv2 (120), HOWEVER the problem is that the network in question is not even known in RIPv2. That why when you look at the routing table, you see that the static route "wins" and has been promoted to the routing table. RIP does not even know about 10.10.10.0 because R2 has failed to advertise it.

From what I can see, all four possible answers given are incorrect. Please advise.
(11-01-2017, 07:56 PM)bsedgal Wrote: The last multiple choice question asks you to examine the R1 routing table and determine how traffic to 10.10.10.0/24 is forwarded.
The correct answer per the simlet is that "Traffic destined to 10.10.10.0/24 ... uses RIPv2 instead of static route [because of the higher admin distance on the static route]"

While its true the static route has a higher admin distance of 200 over RIPv2 (120), HOWEVER the problem is that the network in question is not even known in RIPv2. That why when you look at the routing table, you see that the static route "wins" and has been promoted to the routing table. RIP does not even know about 10.10.10.0 because R2 has failed to advertise it.

From what I can see, all four possible answers given are incorrect. Please advise.

The route in the routing table of R1 to the 10.10.10.0 network is a RIP route learned via R2.  Normally the static route would take precedence, but it is configured in R1 with an AD of 200.  Therefore the RIP route with an AD of 120 is entered into the routing table of R1.

R2 shares it's route to this network with R1.  This can be seen in the RIP configuration section of R2. (Note: RIP uses classful routing so the network statement of "network 10.0.0.0" covers the 10.10.10.0/24 subnet.

I hope I understood what you were asking and hope this helps.  

Thanks,
Amanda